An antique of the future or the Jane Austen Cabinet

I like to call all stitched projects I make, an antique of the future. Indeed, I like to stitch object I might have found in an attic or in a garage sale... a treasured piece that lost its value and became junk until one day someone sees it and rediscovers its true beauty...

This time, it is a cabinet. It was designed by Judy Odell from Just A Thought.
For those who don't know her, go to her website and register to her message board. You will find there a group of fellow stitchers, all of them having a passion for needle and thread. This group has been very inspirational and supportive!
For this cabinet I made a few minor changes from the original design and replaced the lady on the top lid by a gentleman. I had no chart for a gentleman and was incapable of drawing one. July from In the Company of Friends sent me this gentleman so I could stitch him on the cabinet! See!!! I told you this group is amazing!!!
Moreover, Judy Odell makes everything simple!!!! Her finishing explanations are so clear and detailed with photos at each step to make things clearer if need be that you cannot not succeed!!!

Moreover, all my antiques of the future have all the imperfections you can find in antiques!!!LOL

So now, imagine...

Once upon a time, in the English countryside, there was a nice country cottage and Elizabeth was stitching under a tree... Mr Darcy was sure to have seen her exactly there. Under this tree!! He kept coming back but there was no sign of her... until one sunny day, there she was...
Open the lid to find the rest of the story... As for the untold parts, they are well hidden in the drawers of this Jane Austen Cabinet!!






Thank you for reading my blog.
Until later,

Comments

  1. Absolutely breathtaking !! A real gem ! Congratulations on such a beautiful finish, I know you will treasure it, always :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, beautiful and amazing - enough said!!

    Julia:0) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is stunning! I joined Judy's group, but too late to get the cabinet. I am hoping she offers it again soon :) Congratulations, David!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOOOOOOOOOOW! Fabuleux! D'une finesse! bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. David, your finishing is fantastic! I love the story (and of course, I love Elizabeth and Darcy) - wonderful!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I saw Jane Austens name mentioned had to have a peek at your blog, Oh my goodness I was not prepared for that!!!!
    Absolutely stunning no words to describe it, well done indeed and I am so glad I found your blog by accident.

    ReplyDelete
  7. David you have produced a Masterpiece!! Congratulations:)) That must have been quite something to stitch (have followed your progress with envy) and the finish is sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wahouuuuuu quelle merveille !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a beautiful and remarkable piece. Congratulations! Thank you also for showing how you worked on it - in one piece. I must say you have been quick with the needle. It is a wonderful keepsake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh David, this is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Waouh ! C'est une vraie petite oeuvre d'art... C'est tout simplement magnifique ! Bonne journée, Isabelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. Waouh, quelle merveille, quelle beauté ! Quel talent...
    Je n'imagine même pas le nombre d'heures que tu as passées sur cette pièce. Bravo.
    Bisxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. love it. i am still busy finishing my lady's chest. i changed quite a bit of the design so it has taken me a bit more time. yours is beautiful. congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. BRAVO DAVID POUR CETTE BELLE CREATION ET FELICITATION POUR CES HEURES DE PATIENCE QUI AURONT ETE NECESSAIRES POUR FAIRE CETTE MERVEILLE ! BIZZ Moufflette

    ReplyDelete
  15. Magnifique !! un grand Bravo à toi !!
    Isa

    ReplyDelete
  16. AWEsome!!! cool isn't it ?
    Congrats. Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  17. Je suis soufflée par tant de délicatesse ! Bravo. Un très grand bravo !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just found your blog via a google search for the unicef 2010 pinkeep story booklet. Couldn't help but notice the Austin casket. It is amazing, love the "Mr. Darcy" that you put on it for yourself. I have never seen or heard about this before. What an heirloom you have for youself... Nice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment